An Excellent Take On How To Use EFT For Professionals
Emotional Freedom Techinque (EFT) is also sometimes known as “tapping.” It is gaining momentum as an alternative healing modality and many people are starting to use it for themselves to better their own lives. Therapists also use EFT and in this article on therapist gives her approach to using EFT with trauma. We hope you enjoy this article
Thanks for sharing!
By Emma Roberts
….In this article I will look at the different manifestations of trauma and the options for working with them using EFT.
…Methods for working with Trauma
This is a very gentle way of using double dissociation to keep the client safe from abreaction and is usually the best starting point when working with a specific traumatic event.
- Identify a specific traumatic incident from the past. An example might be, “the time my father punched me when I was 12.” By contrast, the phrase “my father abused me” would be too broad because, chances are, the abuse took place over many, many incidents.
- Get them to make it into a mini movie and put it on a wall away from them
- Give it a title.
- Ask them to GUESS at what their emotional intensity would be (on a 0-10 scale) IF they were to vividly watch the movie. Instruct them NOT to actually watch it (although some will close their eyes and do this anyway). ThisGUESS is a surprisingly useful estimate…and…it serves to minimize emotional pain.
- Have the client develop a phrase using the movie title for the EFT process such as “this father-punch emotion” and then proceed with a round of tapping.
- After this round of tapping, ask the client to GUESS again around ask them to state their new number.
- Perform more rounds of EFT (numbers. In my experience, a total of 3 or 4 rounds will bring just about everyone down to GUESSES of 0 to 3.
- Once the client is down to acceptably low GUESSES, then perform another round of tapping and, after this round, ask them how they would feel about watching the movie. Notice that this is the first time you are asking them to do this. All previous times have been relatively painless GUESSES.
- If they are OK with that get them to watch the movie, instructing them to stop at any part that still ‘gets’ them and tap on it.
- Keep going until they are able to watch their whole movie with no emotional attachment. Often they will say something like ‘It is like watching someone else’ or ‘I cant see it clearly any more’.
The Movie Technique
This is the same principle as Tearless Trauma only without the double dissociation. If the trauma is not perceived as too intense then this would be a safe starting place too.
- Create a mini movie of the specific event
- How intense do they feel about watching it (using SUDS scale 0 -10)
- If high intensity rating revert to Tearless Trauma above
- If OK run movie, stopping at any point where there is emotional intensity and tap
- Keep going until whole movie is clear of any emotional intensity
Telling the Story
Telling The Story is an excellent way of testing your results and clearing up any remaining undetected aspects. Ideally, use this once you feel you have reduced the intensity to an acceptable level, or cleared it completely. However, sometimes you will need to use it immediately, as detailed above.
- Have your client tell their story of the event/memory/trigger.
- As soon as any emotional disturbance is detected stop and tap on the last statement the client made.
- Test by having the client re-tell that part of the story. They should be able to go past the previous emotional point easily. If not, there are further aspects to be addressed.
- When the client is calm on the first point, have them continue to tell the story. Stop and tap on each emotional disturbance.
- Test by asking your client to tell the entire story from start to finish. Your work is completed when your client can do this and remain calm throughout….
To conclude, EFT is an exciting new tool in working with Trauma. It allows the client to get immediate relief from traumatic experiences and gently opens the door to revealing and clearing the multiple layers of aspects and beliefs which may be present in a pain free, systematic manner…
Get The Whole Article Here…